Sunday, June 15, 2008

Saartje's Booties and World Wide Knit In Public Day



The booties have begun. I've finished the first bootie, and have the second bootie underway. They do knit up fairly quickly, and as others have noted, there are a lot of ends to darn in at the end. I thought about doing the Fleegle method, but I have only four dpns in the appropriate size, having lost one of my set of 5. Sigh. I did find a helpful tutorial on making button loops over at My Fashionable Life which made doing the button loops managable. I've made the requisite trip to the local button store appropriately named Button Button, and now I just need to finish bootie number 2 and attach the buttons. In the meantime, here is the first bootie:


Yesterday I went to one of our local World Wide Knit in Public Day events, held at Kits Beach, one of our local urban beaches. By the time I left there were 18 knitters and crocheters in attendance. A number were Ravelers, and it's always nice to meet people from Ravelry in real life. I'll try and hunt up everyone's blogs for a future post connecting to local knitters. Raveler Chrissythegreat has a podcast available on itunes. Kim Werker, editor of Interweave Crochet was there as well, working on a lovely scarf of Malabrigo laceweight in bright pinks. Seeing a number of cool crochet projects that were on the go further strengthened my resolve to learn to crochet this summer. There were a number of lovely people attending, some of whom I will have to try to identify later, as I didn't get their names. A big thank you to Rachel for organizing the event. 



The sun even made an appearance from time to time, which made sitting on the lawn a lot more pleasant! It was a real treat to meet new fiber people, and see what everyone was making. Only one of my close friends knits, so most of the time I don't talk about knitting. I hadn't realized how much I missed it. Due to my crazy schedule I haven't been to a stitch and bitch in ages, so this get together was really welcome. 

1 comment:

Chrissy said...

I'm so glad you got some pictures! I brought my camera, but I totally forgot to take it out of my bag.