Saturday, December 20, 2008

O Christmas Tree


December is one of my favorite months of the year, and this year is no exception. One of the highlights of my Christmas season is decorating the tree. If I had my way, the tree would go up December 1. The way I see it, one of the perks of having a fake tree is that it won't dry out no matter how long it's up for. Mr Ripley, however, is of the school of thought that believes the tree should only be enjoyed for one or two short weeks each year. So, every year we have a, well, let's call it a discussion about when the tree should go up. The end result of our ongoing discussion was a compromise date of December 10.

We put on Christmas music, and usually have a friend (or 5) over to help us decorate the tree. 

As I  believe that the tree should be a collection of meaningful ornaments, and not a decorator's masterpiece,  my tree might be labelled tacky by some. Fair enough,  but I wouldn't have it any other way. This year, I purchased a large and a small glass acorn for the tree, as well as a glass pinecone, visible below. I'm beginning to think that my tree is inadvertently acquiring a woodland theme. 


The other ornament pictured above is the Ukrainian dough ornament my aunt gave me as a small child. I love unwrapping her each year and finding a place of honour for her on the tree. 

I also love this little reindeer, even though he wouldn't come into focus for me no matter how hard I tried.


My tree features red and gold, silver and gree, glass and metal and wood, all forming a cacophany of Christmas memories. For me, the end result is a harmony of Chrismases past and present. And this year, like every other year, I'll sit and gaze at the soft glow of the lights and have a cup of hot chocolate, or a glass of more a more adult kind of holiday cheer, and enjoy the season.

No comments: